Press ReleaseTuesday, October 6, 2020
THE TURLOCK POLICE DEPARTMENT HAS BEEN AWARDED A $60,500 GRANT FROM THE CALIFORNIA OFFICE OF TRAFFIC SAFETY
Turlock, California – The safety of everyone traveling is the focus of a grant awarded to the Turlock Police Department. The $60,500 dollar grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS) will assist in the Turlock Police Department’s efforts to reduce deaths and injuries on City of Turlock roads.
“These are trying times, and now more than ever, it is important that we are at the forefront of traffic safety,” said Turlock Police Acting Captain James Silveira. “This funding allows us to educate and enhance the safety of all residents.”
The one-year grant is for the 2021 federal fiscal year, which runs from October 1, 2020, to September 30, 2021.
The grant will fund a variety of traffic safety programs, including:
• Patrols with emphasis on alcohol and drug impaired driving prevention.
• Patrols with emphasis on awareness and education of California’s hands free cell phone law.
• Patrols with emphasis on education of traffic rights for bicyclists and pedestrians.
• Patrols with emphasis on awareness and education of primary causes of crashes: excess speed, failure to yield, failure to stop at stop signs/signals and improper turning/lane changes.
• Officer training and/or recertification: Standard Field Sobriety Test (SFST), Advanced Roadside Impaired Driving Enforcement (ARIDE) and Drug Recognition Expert (DRE).
“Through education and behavior changes, we hope to create an environment that is safe and equitable for all road users in our community,” said Interim Police Chief Miguel Pacheco.
Funding for this program was provided by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
The Turlock Police Department is an active participant in the Crime Stoppers Program. Callers can leave an anonymous tip by calling Crime Stoppers at (209) 521-4636 and may be eligible for a cash reward.
To receive more detailed, up-to-date information directly from the Turlock Police Department via e-mail or text message, register for "Nixle" alerts at www.Nixle.com or more directly at https://local.nixle.com/register/. Or, text your zip code to 888777 to receive text alerts only.
For additional information, follow our social media pages on Facebook and Twitter.
This information is being released by Turlock Police Department Sergeant Michael Parmley.
Any media requests should contact:
Sergeant Michael Parmley
Back to Press Releases